Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I am leaving Platte Woods

One of the hardest things to do in ministry is to leave, especially when things are going great.  This is the situation that my family and I are in right now.  Last week, I resigned as Youth Pastor at Platte Woods UMC.  I have been in this position for almost 4 years.  In May of 2007, our family made the 500 mile drive from Nashville, TN to answer the call of God.


We have had an incredible time and done some amazing things.  Over the last 6 months or so, we have felt that God was calling us to something else.  We battled and prayed about it and finally made the decision.  We are taking a huge step in faith but we know that He has a plan for our lives.  



On Sunday night, we told all our students.  I think the biggest emotion was shock.  I can say that no one expected this.  Our ministry was going good.  God was moving in the lives of our students, adults and parents.  As I made the announcement, students cried.  I felt so loved afterward as student after student came up and hugged me, some yelled at me (Keller) and some avoided me.  I have left ministries before and it is never easy.  The hardest part for me is that fact that we are not sure where God has called us to, so we are waiting.


I loved my time at Platte Woods.  I know God used me to be an incredible youth ministry there.  He brought some great people into the ministry.  Our team of adults is amazing and I wouldn't have traded them for anyone else.  I loved watching our students grow and mature in their faith.  I loved seeing them really begin to embrace the life that God has for them.  I will never forget them.


I am excited and nervous about not having a job.  I told my wife, as we were making this decision, that it is easy to say you have faith in God but it is much harder to take the step off the cliff to follow Him.


If you are a student reading this, know that I will always love you and be there for you.
If you are an adult leader, know that I love you and thank God that he brought you into my life
If you are just a friend, pray for my family and I as we discern where God wants us to go next.

No comments: