Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bread vs Bread

I love to eat. If you have seen me, you can tell. I wouldn't starve to death if I skipped a few meals. I normally have no trouble finding something to eat or a time to eat it. Physically eating for me is no problem. It comes naturally, almost like I have to...

Over my Christian life I have struggled to spend quiet time with God. From college, to kids, to job, to my wife and any other excuse I have come up with to not have time with God. This has been the cloud over my entire Christian life. I know I need to, I know it is good for me and I know that it will help me be a better youth pastor. When you lead people, whether it be in business or in the church, you have to always be ahead of them. I can only lead my students into places that I have been. I cannot lead students into an exciting life with God, if I have never experienced it. If I don't have my own quiet time, how can I challenge them to give up their personal time, to spend with Him. If I don't know the Bible, how can I teach it to my students.

Like eating food, our quiet time with God is something that nourishes us and keeps our engine running. I had to skip lunch today because I was busy, and it began to kill me as the day wore on. My time with God is just as important, if not more so, because if I become weak in faith then I can fail my students.

I learn each new day that I am not adequate to be a youth pastor. I see failures in what I should be doing. I learn each new day that I must continue to lean on God and rely on His strength to get me through the day. That it is because of Him that I can be a youth pastor at all, much less a good one. I thank Him each day for the opportunity to do what I love doing.

No comments: