Pages

Thursday, January 06, 2011

My Daily Reading





I normally don't do New Years resolutions. If I do, I usually (like most people) never follow through with them. This year, I decided to make two. The first is to lose weight. I am about 80 pounds overweight and want to be in better health. My wife and I have started a diet and I am committed to working out more.

The second resolution is to read the Bible in 90 days, at least once this year. I started using the reading plan out of YouVersion to help me keep track. I actually started the plan at the beginning of December and should be finished sometime in March. I have tried really hard to keep the reading. doing the Bible in 90 days is pretty intense and if you fall behind, it is hard to catch up.

I have decided to help me keep myself accountable, I am Ginger to blogg each day about my reading. The post won't be super extensive but just some notes about what I got out of it. I am also not going to try to go back with what I have already read but just start from where I am.

Today's reading was from 2 Samuel 22 to 1 Kings 7. The reading covered the end of David's life and reign as king and the ushering in of Solomon as king. Reading about David and his life was very interesting and insightful. I loved how he tried to do what God wanted and when he didn't, he would repent and make it right. As a great leader, he had faithful leaders under him who did what he needed when he needed. They sometimes questioned him but still followed him.

Solomon took charge and cleaned up a mess that started before his father passed away. David asked Solomon just one thing before giving him the kingdom and that was that he follow the will of God and do what God wanted. god promised David that if his family followed Him, then God would bless David and his family. Solomon started out right and vowed to follow God. Because Solomon was faithful to God, God said that he would give Solomon anything he wanted. Solomon was humble Nd asked only for the wisdom to rule his people. This pleased God and he gave Solomon the wisdom plus whatever else he wanted.

The last few chapters of the reading were about Solomon building the Temple of God. The description was amazing. The cost and times was enormous but Solomon was able to do what his father was not.

Very interesting stuff. I am enjoying reading the Bible straight through as the whole story comes together with each verse and chapter...

No comments: