Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Ministry Mutiny

I love being a full-time youth pastor. I love my church, my students, my adult leaders and everything about my job. Even with all this great stuff I feel that we are missing some of the big picture. Since March God has really been pushing to to think about everything we do, making sure that we are keeping Him first. I know that we are sometimes just going through the motions of being a youth group. Like all groups I have some kids who are really into God and want to live for Him and some students who just come for the fun. I started readying "Ministry Mutiny" by Greg Stier after talking with my friend Tim Schmoyer and listening to some of Greg's podcast.

I have had this book sitting on my shelf for who knows how long. I have never been one to change my life, my ministry just because I read something in a book. I really found Mutiny to be a book worth reading. Greg's write the book as he tells a story of Ty (the young Youth Pastor) and Tony (the veteran). Ty is on the verge of resigning from the church his is at, Tony comes into his life and teaches him some principals that have worked for him.

The principals are as follows:
1. Listen for God's Whisper
2. Get Real
3. Go Wide
4. Grow Deep
5. No More Outsourcing
6. Build on Values, Not Fads

Like many books printed today, and even what Greg says in his book, there is nothing new here. These are all basic ideas that have a Biblical basis. I have to agree with Greg and say that many of us (including me) have gotten away from the Bible (to a degree) in favor of trying to win students to come to our youth group. Greg calls us back to use the Bible and only the Bible in teaching our students. In the book Tony and Ty get in a conversation about needing to win the right to be heard when it comes to showing students the gospel. I have heard that many times and have even bought into it a little but Tony goes to explain that the gospel of Jesus Christ doesn't need to earn anything. We need to be bolder in our presentation and need not fear what may or may not happen.

This is a great little book to read (only 160 pages), I think it really showed me where I am lacking and some things I can do to make my ministry better. It has definitely opened my eyes to what my ministry needs to become. We all need to commit a little Ministry Mutiny.

No comments: