Pages

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Day 12 - Anti-God Ad Campaign

Atheists Plan Anti-God Ad Campaign on Buses  
London buses have God on their side — but not for long, if atheists have their way. The sides of some of London's red buses will soon carry ads asserting there is "probably no God," as nonbelievers fight what they say is the preferential treatment given to religion in British society. Organizers of a campaign to raise funds for the ads said Wednesday they received more than $113,000 in donations. The money will be used to place posters on 30 buses carrying the slogan "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." Fox News, October 23


I read this article a couple weeks ago and found it kind of funny.  I have had many conversations with atheists bad-mouthing on Christians for wanting to "convert" people to their faith, pointing out that we are pushy and annoying, yet this article is no different than a church posting an ad on the bus.  Doesn't this strike you as funny.  Have you ever encountered someone who didn't believe in religion and then spent the better part of the conversation trying to convince you believe like them?  Does having no faith keep you from trying to bring others to your level?


I spend a good deal of time on digg.com reading the articles and comments.  Almost 95% of the time, the topic comes back to religion.  No matter what the original article was, the conversation will almost always turn to religion and the hatred of it in any form and how the whole world needs to be void of any religion.  Know that digg is very left leaning and almost anti-religion.  I read the comments and laugh because some of them sound like child is talking, but then will pound on a Christian and call them uneducated and closed-minded.  I consider myself to be open-minded, in that I will listen to other points of view and usually agree to disagree.


My faith is questioned all the time.  I have read books by leading atheists and religion haters.  I have been called a homophobe (still not sure what this means) because I believe homosexuality is a sin, ignoring the fact that some of my good friends are gay.  I have struggled with my faith and will continue to struggle with it.  I remember talking to a friend of mine who was an atheists/agnostic and he told me that he believed people used religion as a crutch because it was easier to believe in God than not.  I highly disagreed with him, stating that it was harder to believe in something you cannot see, hear, touch or smell than to  not believe altogether.  Faith is the evidence of things not seen.  


Sorry, decided to rant a little today. 

2 comments:

Josh Cates said...

My first thought upon reading that article was that I would like to organize a fund-raiser in London to put "pro-God" ads on buses. I bet I'd raise way more than 113k. Of course, you know me, and you know my point would be solely to mock the anti-God crowd.

I certainly wouldn't consider you a homophobe at all. There's a difference between fearing homosexuals, and fearing FOR homosexuals. I'm guessing you aren't an atheophobe, either. Maybe you're a sinophobe? :)

Josh Cates said...

One other thing ... people don't inherently believe in a higher power. It's taught by parents, society, etc. I'm sure your friend meant that it's easier to believe than not, because it's more sociologically acceptable. Although, I'd also argue that it's easier to believe in a sentient higher power than it is to learn and understand the non-sentient powers that control some things historically attributed to "gods" (such as the weather, changes to the stars, natural disasters, the so-called perfect design of the human body, etc).