Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tools I Use In Ministry: iPad, iPhone & iOS Apps

This tool is probably one that gets me a lot of grief from my other youth pastor friends.  I have had an iPhone since version 3G and I got an iPad a couple months after they came out.  I know that most youth pastors cannot necessarily afford either of these tools but this is what I use.  I use many programs that have PC/Mac versions, so you can take those ideas and apply them how you see.


The iPhone was a revolutionary advancement for Apple that has grown to be a cultural icon.  While it wasn't the first smartphone on the market, it did change the game.  The iPhone was an evolutionary step from the iPod and took everything that was great about it and put it in a phone.  Apple has always had a knack for making things very easy to use and helping users discover new ways to use a device.  In ministry, the iPhone is an assistant in your pocket.  You have access to all your music, hundred's of thousands of application, texting and more.  The iPhone made it easy to look up data when needed, get from one place to another with the map program or look up information on the web.  I have used many different smart devices, dating all the way back to the Casio Cassiopeia and the iPhone is better than them all.  I even used an Android phone for a while and found myself still wanting the iPhone.  The iPhone camera is great for taking pictures (4S is an 8mb camera and 1080p video camera) for those on the go events.


The iPad is less than two years old and has created a new market rather than changed one.  The iPad is a 10" device that runs on the same operating system the iPhone does.  Many people labeled it just a giant iPhone but it is so much more than that.  I use my iPad more than any other computer I have (PC, Macbook and iPhone).  I, sadly, only have the first generation iPad so I have no camera and a slower processor speed.  The iPad comes in two different formats, Wifi only & Wife + 3g.  The 3g part is through Verizon or AT&T and there is no 2-year contract like the iPhone.  My goal was to get a 3G version (which I didn't) and turn the 3G on during the summer while I was traveling with the youth ministry.  The iPad is much better than the iPhone for typing longer messages or blogging.  The screen is a perfect size for watching movies on the go and reading books.  I use my iPad when I deliver my messages also.  I just pull up the document and read it from there.  I don't have to print anything out or make sure I have the latest changes to a document.


I use both my iPad & iPhone to store music, movies, TV shows and much more.  They are a multimedia machine.  Apple continues to advance the operating system to make it easier and easier.  The latest iOS version 5 brings with it some great features like Wifi Syncing, better notifications, iMessage, Photo Stream and more.  I also have several programs that I use on both of these devices that help me in ministry.  Some of them are productive and others are just to waste time.


The iWork Suite contains Pages, Numbers and Keynote (word processor, spreadsheets and presentations).  This has been a Mac only product for a while but was ported to iOS with the invention of the iPad.  This suite gives you incredible ability to create documents and more on the go.  iOS5 brought with it iCloud and the ability to sync documents across all your devices and Mac computer.  I use the suite to create Fliers, Brochures, Service Presentations and more.  I have access to everyone on any of my devices.
[Pages iTunes Link] [Numbers iTunes Link] [Keynote iTunes Link]


Evernote is the ultimate note taking application out there (across any device or computer).  Evernote allows you to create notes with tags and put them in a notebook.  Michael Hyatt has done a great job of promoting Evernote to many different users.  You can click here to view his blog about it.  Evernote makes taking notes easier and faster.  It syncs automatically to all your devices and online.  I use Evernote to clip articles I need to read, blog ideas, sermon notes and more.
[iTunes Link]


The Kindle App is a great tool for reading books on the go.  Amazon has taken their own device and put it on the iPad.  The Kindle app syncs across all devices, PCs and online.  I believe that digital will eventually take over printed and the Kindle App helps with that.  I love reading books on my iPad because they are always with me.  You can also write notes, highlight and share parts of the book you are reading.  You are also able to loan certain books out to friends.
[iTunes Link]


Pandora Radio is an online music store at your fingerprints.  I use Pandora when I don't have the specific music I need on me.  Pandora allows you to type in an Artist or Song and it will create a virtual playlist of songs just like that.  This is great when you have some time and you want some music in the background or you are on a long road trip and don't want to carry a lot of music with you.  The best part is that it is free...
[iTunes Link]


YouVersion is an amazing online Bible program.  Actually, it is more than a online Bible.  YouVersion is a tool to help any youth pastor stay in contact with the one we are working for.  YouVersion was created by Lifechurch.tv and is free to everyone on almost any device or computer.  YouVersion has tons of Bible versions, notes from different users, reading plans, the ability to read the Bible to you and much more.  I use YouVersion for my daily reading and message prep.
[iTunes Link]


I also plays games on these devices to kill time and hang out with students.  There are other apps I use for personal use like GoTasks (which ties into my Google Tasks), ESV+, Web Albums, Facebook and more.

No comments: