Pages

Friday, November 14, 2008

Day 8, Twittering

I do everything I can to stay on top of technology.  In my previous life I was a programmer and was learning new languages every couple of years because it was changing so fast.  As a youth pastor, my need to learn is just as great because I have to keep up with what my students are doing online, via text message or however they might communicate.  Back in the day I jumped on Myspace to see what my students were up to, I joined Facebook once the Myspace fad started fading and a few months ago I joined Twitter to keep up with other youth pastors.

Twitter is an interesting tool to use because most students don't use it.  I have 1 college student that is on it, but no Sr/Jr Highers.  I use Twitter to keep up with mostly youth pastors and friends who might have one.  If  you aren't sure what Twitter is, it is micro-blogging.  You can write in 140 character increments, usually just enough to state a single point or idea.  I follow people who use it for personal updates of what they are doing in their life or they use it to talk about what is going on in their ministry.  I am mixed on how I use Twitter.  I write stuff that I am doing at the moment, promote my blog and also talk about ministry.  Twitter also updates my Facebook status through an application in Facebook.

I talk about Twitter because of a link I found that talked about different ways that people have used Twitter to get help, products, etc.  Here is the link from Mashable, http://mashable.com/2008/10/31/great-twitter-moments/

I got a kick out of some of the stories.  It is amazing that something that seems to be very early in its growth, can be used to do some great things for people.

How do you use Twitter in ministry or in life?
Do you feel it works for you or do you use it just because?

No comments: