Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

PDYM Session #1 (Tuesday)

I am so glad that  I decided to come to the PDYM conference.  I wasn't entirely sure of why I wanted to come but thought it would be good for me.  Boy, was I glad I decided to (and thankful for the church letting me).


I read Doug's book PDYM over 6 years ago, thanks to a youth pastor I was working at the time.  I read through it, took note of some of the ideas but never fully bought into it.  Since then I implemented little bits of the purpose-driven philosophy but never all the way.  I was hoping this conference would help me decide once and for all if I wanted a ministry that was purpose-driven or just keep going the way I was.


Anyways, I got here on Monday, grab some dinner and headed to the hotel.  I got up at 6am on Tuesday (8am Central Time) and couldn't fall back asleep.  So, I got in the sweet ride I am driving and headed to Manhattan Beach (45 minutes away) to see the ocean and enjoy the view.  The 350Z is going to get me a ticket (almost already did) before the weekend is over.  It is incredibly fast and has awesome pickup.  Driving 90 feels like nothing for it.  I loved driving to the beach, I love being on the beach and watching the surfers (vowed to get in shape for this summer so I could surf when we come back).

I got to enjoy lunch @ Fuddrucker's with Josh Griffin and Jake (from Saddleback) and other yp's.  Some of them I follow on Twitter so it was good to meet them.  Left from there, grabbed another yp from the airport and headed to the conference.  Walked-in the door and was greeted by Josh and he gave us the full tour of the Refinery, it is amazing.  I told him it reminded me of walking into a Universal Studios ride.  The whole place has a purpose and they did a great job of setting the building up.  Very useful and very student friendly.  The most interesting thing I saw (or didn't see) was video consoles, they only have two Wii's.  They opted not to have video consoles because they didn't think it promoted relationship.  Very interesting thought.

The Conference began with a great opening set by the Saddleback student band.  They did a great job.  They have done a great job all week (so far).  It is great to see these kids lead youth pastors in worship.  As I as was watching them, it amazed me how they seemed to forget we were there and just sing to God.  Very cool.

more later...

No comments: