Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Being Kingdom Minded

Last week I blogged about the book "It" by Craig Groeschel. The book is written to churches who are struggling with growth and energy. The It is God's spirit being in a church and being active in building the kingdom of God.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have had struggles with some serious questions about how our youth ministry is doing.
We are seeing lives changed, but we seem to be missing something. We are reaching those who come into our doors but it is getting people there that is the problem. I was asked one time, when was the last time you led a student to Christ individually. Sad to say, I really had to think about that question and when it was. Believe it or not, I was 5 years ago. 5 years. I almost cried when I started thinking about that. Now, do know that I present the gospel as much as possible and give students the opportunity to receive Christ in our large group meetings, but when it comes to one on one, I haven't done it in a while.

So with that questions and these questions from Craig:
  • When is the last time you've had a lost person in your home? (the plumber who repaired your sink doesn't count.)
  • How many meaningful conversations did you have with non-Christians this week?
  • Who are the nonbelievers you prayed for today?

I really began thinking about how outreach oriented my life actually is. Because we moved to Kansas City for a ministry position, my outside interaction with people is very limited. My time usually revolves around the church and our youth ministry. As I began to really think about these questions, I began to realize the excuse is not an excuse at all. We are all called to reach out to those who don't know Jesus, being in ministry is not an exclusion clause. I can't ask my students and adult leaders to do something that I am not doing.

I believe God is really challenging me in this area. I feel like I need to be doing more to reach out to the students in our area (outside our church) and the adults I see (outside the church). I have resolved a few things:
  • No hanging in the car at my kids events/practices. I am trying to get out more to meet the parents of the other kids on the team.
  • Get to know my neighbors. We know our neighbors but have never invited them in or had a significant conversation with them.
  • Reach out to the students in our area. This will include getting involved in the school by going to lunch, FCA, various events and whatever else I can do.

I see these as small but big steps in my own life. I also see this as being a model for my own kids and the students in our ministry.

How do you answer the question of reaching out to those who don't know Christ?

No comments: