Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Book Review: It by Craig Groeschel

I usually am reading about 3 books at a time. I have read a 1000 page book in just 8 days or a 100 page book in a couple months. I decided since I read so much that I would start sharing my insights with the blogging world and maybe someone will get something out of it also.



I started reading Craig Groeschel's book "It" several months ago. I downloaded it on my iPhone Kindle software to read when I was out and about. I really like listening to Craig's sermons so I thought the book must be good. I was right. First off, if you don't like the word 'it' then you shouldn't read this book. He uses the word in almost every sentence. Once you get past that, the book is incredible and holds a lot of insights that I found to be very shaping to my own life. Nothing Craig talks about is earth-shaking or really new but he lays it out in a way that will really talk to you.


The 'It' that Craig talks about is the moving of the holy spirit. He references how most of us when we first became Christians had it and wanted to share it with the world, but as we grew and became comfortable with our faith, we lost it. We became complacent, lazy and unmoved. He looks at how churches have it, lose it and can get it back. He used some of his own experiences with the growth of Lifechurch.tv and personal stories. Craig does a great job of putting it in an easy to read format that church leaders and lay persons alike can get. I will say the first part of the book wasn't as interesting as the last part. I was really moved at the last five chapters when Craig was talking about being Kingdom focused.


In my own life I feel like I have become more about doing ministry than actually ministering to those around me. Over the next couple days I will be blogging more about this book. Overall I would say that everyone should read this book but especially if you feel like you aren't where God wants you to be.

No comments: