Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Getting in shape...

So before we moved to KC, Beth and I decided that we would join the YMCA and try to get back into shape. Both of us have kind of let our physical health go by the wayside for a while. Not that we are incredibly large and static, but both of us could lose a few pounds (me, a more than a few). When I got married, I weigh around 180 lbs. That is a little more than my high school weight, back in 1992. Right now I am sitting at 284. I can't believe how big I have gotten. But for me, it is a little more about the weight but about being in shape. Being able to play some basketball or run with the kids and not feel like you are going to die. Working with teenagers doesn't allow you the luxury of just sitting on your butt all day.

I am excited about this move and I think knowing that we are spending $76.00 a month for the Y will help to motivate us a little. But I am ready to get back to where I used to be. Maybe not at 180 but in shape and able to play a full game of basketball is my goal. The cool thing is, I love to swim and the Y has an indoor pool where I can swim laps. So much fun. Plus the kids love going there and hitting the pool and play area.

The only bad part is, I hate working at in a crowded gym. We went to the Y today and it was busy. I really didn't want to be there, but knew that I needed to get over it. I am going to try to get up early and go before I go to work.

I have always been amazed at people who have the time or drive to spend hours inside the gym. Or even with my teens, spend hours playing sports at all. Football, baseball, soccer, or swimming (among other extracurriclar sports), take up soo much of my students time. I know I will struggle with that here at Platte Woods. I have numerous kids who do outside activities. I know that it takes their time away from church and I would bet that it takes away their time with God.

Here is a question, what do you think would happen if our students today, spent as much time in Gods word, as they do at sports, on the phone or on the computer? What about us adults? I can imagine that world and the lives that would be changed. For me as a youth pastor, the question is, how do you make the gospel worthy of that much time to students? We all know how important God is, but students outside the church aren't that aware...

No comments: