Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Why Can't We All Get Along?

I am going to jump into the political side of things for a while.  I consider myself an independent on most everything.  I don't follow people blindly or because they align with a couple of my beliefs.  I live my life as a Christians but believe that we are all sinners and need God's love.  I believe what I believe because of years of searching myself, scripture and listening to God.  I know that people don't agree 100% with me, even within my own church or denomination.



All that being said, I am getting tired of the religion versus everyone else mentality that is happening in our country.  I am saddened by both sides for the hate and idiocy that is being posted, blogged and shown by the media and people I know.  We all have differing opinions.   Your opinion is no better than mine just because yours isn't based on faith or the Bible.  You can say I am outdated if you want, but that doesn't make it true.

A case in point would be the issues going on right now with Chick-fil-a.  The president of Chick-fil-a came out and said that he and his company believe in the traditional sense of marriage and family.  He never said anything about hating or loathing homosexuals or even that the company wouldn't support them in any way.  Yet, millions across the world are upset and calling him and the company names because he took a stance that they didn't agree with.  I am hearing their are boycotts planned and even mayors who want to make it impossible for Chick-fil-a's to open in their cities.

While I have been reading the reactions, my mind went back to the 90's where Christians got upset because Disney was offering benefits to same-sex couples at their resorts.  There were boycotts and calls for boycotts and hate being spewed because of it.  How did that work out?

The sad part is, this is just a taste of how politically charged our society has come.  If I say something you don't agree with then I am a bigot and phobic of you.  How sad!!!  We live in a country of freedoms and the freedom of expression is the first one.  I understand we aren't always going to agree and laws will be passed that not everyone agrees with or understands but that shouldn't mean we turn to name calling and boycotts.

We need to be able to have civilized conversations about what is going on in our world.  There are too many other major problems going on in our world beside who believes in same-sex or traditional marriage or whatever the hot button issue is out there.  We have people dying of hunger, wars and many other issues that need to be dealt with but instead we get stuck in the little things.

Rodney King said it best... "Cant' we just all get along... "

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Well said my friend. But obviously you are wrong, and I will boycot your blog from now on. ;-)

Wambua said...

I like your rational..like the article