Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Going Retro: Know when to say Sorry...

I posted this on 08/10/06


I messed up last night. And it took a parent letting me know it to realize my mistake. You see, yesterday was my birthday, so instead of having a normal service with the teens, I figured we would have cake and ice cream and karaoke. It seemed like a good idea at the time. We had done this before and had no problems, but we only had Christmas Karaoke music. This time I went out and bought some Cd's. Thinking that they would be the clean versions of the songs, so I didn't worry or review them before hand.

That was my first mistake. To all the youth pastors/pastors reading this, always review any song before playing it during a youth worship service. This is a mistake that will never happen again.
The second mistake was actually playing the music, and making it seem like it wasn't a big deal. I am not sure where my mind was on this one because I don't allow music with language or sexual thoughts or alcohol or drugs or anything like that played in my car, but someone I didn't think the language was a big deal in church. 



Again, a mistake I won't make again.
My calling as a youth pastor is to be a leader to my students. One with integrity. I didn't have that last night. I allowed by thoughts of coolness to somehow take over my mind. But anyways, I messed up. There is no excuse and there is no way around it. The parent was valid in the concerns and I am just sorry that it all happened. I respect this parent a lot, and their opinion means a lot to me.


So what does this mean, it means that even I can be wrong. Yes, I know that is hard to believe, but it is true. Even Christians make mistakes, but it is how we deal with those mistakes that sets us apart. Rather than listening to this parent, I could have gotten mad or shrugged them off as being overly parental. BUT I didn't and I can't. I am a pastor and a leader to these kids. If I don't show them the right way to do things, how then can I yell at them for the music they are listening to.


I Corinthians 10:31-33 tells us, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved." We as Christians and especially Pastors, need to make sure that everything we do is above reproach and keeps our integrity intact. I forgot that last night and I am truly sorry for it. 
 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Same thing happened to me with karaoke some years ago...stupid, but it happens. As youth leaders, we are only human and we can make mistakes as well. It's great that you're acknowledging your mistake and asking for forgiveness...and I'm sure everyone will grant you that! Don't beat yourself over the head though, we all make mistakes and we need to forgove ourselves as much as we forgive others!