Pages

Friday, April 01, 2011

My Process of Looking for a Ministry Position

Most of my world knows that a couple weeks ago, I stepped down as youth pastor at Platte Woods UMC. I have begun the process of looking for a new position. I have done this once before, so I kind of "think" I know what I am doing. I know that many of my other youth pastor friends are looking, so I figured I would share how I am looking for a new job with the blog world.


First and foremost, I have been praying about this for a while. Even before we told people we were leaving, we have been praying. No matter what I am looking for, God has a place for me.  We know that all our decisions are what He wants from us, so we have put this whole process in His hands.


What Am I Looking For?
I am a youth pastor. I know this totally, so I am looking for a youth pastor position. I am open to varying this to include young adults or maybe some family ministry but I am sticking mainly with youth ministry.  I am looking for a position that will help me to continue to use the gifts that God has given me to build a youth ministry and the church.


The church I would like to be a part of will be serious about missions, its vision and reaching the lost. l want a church that is fluid in its processes, meaning willing to change what needs to be changed. I want to be a part of a staff that is relational and willing to help each other. I would like to be in a church larger than 800 in worship, but that isn't a big deal.  Size has never really mattered to me.  I just want a church that I can fit into.


How Am I Looking?
I really don't like looking for a new job.  I don't know that anyone really loves it.  I started this search off with having my resume professionally evaluated by an HR Manager.  I also had several of my friends look at it to make sure that I was presenting myself correctly.  I am happy with how my resume reads and what I have accomplished.  I also created a default email that I use as a guideline when sending to churches.  I try to change it up by focusing on what the church is looking for.


The church world is a small world and big combined.  There are tons of churches and different denominations but if you know a group of people, your reach can be pretty big.  I am connected with other youth pastors and churches through the UMC and Nazarene churches.  I have have contacts through the NNYM and my involvement with SYMC as an Inside Track Team member.  I have feelers out everywhere.


I am staying on top of the different job boards out there.  There a few youth ministry specific lists out there, some ministry lists and then the denominational classified listings.  I will list some of the main boards below...


Youth Specialties
Simply Tools
Youth Ministry Architects
Church Staffing


Where Am I Looking?
Moving to Missouri wasn't a big part of our plan when I was looking for a job last time.  God had plans to bring me here and we are happy we did.  This time we are kind of focusing our search on an seven hour driving radius around Nashville (where our families kind of live) and parts of Florida.   We are open to move outside of this range but we would really like to be closer to family.  This search includes the following states: Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.


I am excited about the idea of moving to somewhere new.  I know that God has a plan for us and I am glad I get to be a part.  He did some amazing things while we were at Platte Woods.  Platte Woods was my first full-time ministry position and I learned a ton.  I am excited about being able to take what I learned and apply it to another ministry setting.



No comments: