Pages

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Suggestions for Parents: Parent Expectations of Church

As a parent I have learned the value of help. I know that my wife and I don't know everything. We know that our kids will probably talk to other adults more than they talk to us. My kids have had the pleasure of being a part of many different church homes. Some of them with great children's ministry and some with ok ministries. Each ministry gave my kids something different and special. I have seen the benefit the church has on our kids.



I have seen it within my own ministry. I have seventh grade daughter who very much loves our youth ministry and the adult who are there to help her. She has a good relationship with many loving adults. Our expectations of what the church should give us is a little different than everyone else's but somewhat the same.
  • Discipleship: I believe first and foremost a church needs to provide times of discipleship for everyone. As a parent, I want the church to provide opportunities for my children to learn more about God. This shouldn't be in place of what I am teaching them at home but to help.
  • Patience: I am not going to have it all together, no one does. The church shouldn't expect me to know everything about everybody. My kids aren't perfect and will at times do things they shouldn't. They may not know what you think they should. I might miss a meeting or event time. Patience is a virtue that we all need to know.
  • Communication: Different people communicate in different ways. There are many different forms of communications, so not communicating information is not an option. I have a cell phone, website, multiple email accounts. I like to text, talk and video chat with others. The church should employ every means possible to get information into my hands. The web makes everything easier and the means that with a little work, the church can create a website, blog, contact management, Facebook, text or phone tree. You can never over communicate with me.
  • Resources: The church should be the ultimate source of Godly information for parents. I expect that information to be given to me to help me with my child's faith walk. This will include studies, books, sermon series and more. Most parents don't have the knowledge the pastors do, so they should be willing to share it. This information doesn't need to be packaged professionally but just available.
Different parents have different needs and the church needs to help as much as possible. I have always said that one of the benefits of larger churches is that they have more resources. Over the last few years, some of those churches have begun to give away all their resources for the benefit of the church. This has been a huge help to churches and families.


One of the churches I am interviewing at told me that one of my responsibilities would be to meet with new parents and discuss the role of the church in their lives as they raise their child. I am amazed at the forethought of that and will look to adopt it wherever I go. The church must take the lead in equipping families to help them raise their children.


What do you expect from the church?

1 comment:

Kim K Smith M.D. said...

I feel very blessed to have had you help my family develope my son's thirst for God in his life. Once a person has that base for their faith, I personally have yet to see one turn away from trying to quench that thirst in the rest of their life. May God bless you and all those other families that you will touch in God's path for you.