Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Wife, I love you...

In the writing of a youth pastor there is usually one person who gets left out. We talk about our adult leaders, our students, the church we work at and parents but most of the time we forget to talk about our families and specifically the spouses. This post is a tribute to my wife, Elizabeth.

17 years ago (around this time), I made the biggest decision of my life. I asked Beth to marry me. We were just 19 years old and in college. We had dated off and on during the fall but got serious when we returned from Christmas break. My original plan was to propose on the beach during Easter break but I got anxious and asked her at her parents house. We got married in December of 1994 and have never looked back.

We have been through a lot in the 16+ years we have been married. We have 3 great kids. We have moved about 10 times. We have endured a house fire, multiple jobs and a halfway cross country move. We have both suffered the loss of big parts of our families. We have both have various jobs inside and outside the church. We have both worked the midnight shift. We have both completed our college careers (even though our parents worried). We have been a part of many church families as members and employers. In all of this, we are still in love with each other and waiting for the rest of our lives.


Beth has been there for me when I needed an adult leader. She has been there when I needed an adult to step up and cook food for 900 people. Beth has taken care of our kids while I have traveled in and out of the country for weeks at a time. She has supported us when I have been looking for a job (like now) and she has had the opportunity to be a stay-at-home mom. She supported my decision to leave the corporate world and enter full-time ministry.
God blessed me greatly when He brought Beth into my life. Sadly, I didn't see it at first but thankfully I was able to listen to His voice and make her a permanent part of my life. I am excited to spend the rest of my life with her. God has done some amazing things in our life so far and I can't imagine what the rest of it looks like.

I LOVE YOU, ELIZABETH DAWN


No comments: