Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Oh, the heart ache

I know that working with teenagers isn't easy. I have been doing it for more than 7 years now, but recently that pain has become more evident in a situation I am dealing with. Seeing the lives of students you spend years with, completely go south because they think they know what is best.

My heart hurts when I see teens go astray. When I see them leave the things that they have learned, because they believe it isn't worth it. I have seen the great side of it also, where a student gives their life to God and begins to change. I love this side and I wish it for all my students, but I know the reality that it doesn't happen every time.

I know that growing up is hard. I know the teenagers like to think they know best. I know that students believe they are in control of their lives and make choices to reflect that. I know the mistakes I made as a teenager and wish like anything that I could keep my students from making the same mistakes. I also have to know that God is in control. To know that no matter what that student does, I need to continue to love them because God loves them. To know that no matter how far they go, God is waiting to take them back with open arms. I need to remember that and to live that out.

Growing up today is hard. There are sooo many choices and freedoms that students are given. Most people under 20, grew up around age 13, either because they had to or because they choose to. The church should be a haven for students, not a place to get rejected. As a youth pastor I know my job is to love each student who walks threw my doors and present the gospel to them, whether they listen or not isn't in my control.

John 3:16 tells us that God did loved us so much that He gave His only Son to die for our sins. Youth Pastors don't have to give up our first born, but we do have to allow our students to make decisions on their own, as hard as it may be.

1 comment:

The Truth said...

I'm not a teenager, but I am young. In this case, however, I do know best.

God is not real.

Never was. Never has been. Never will be. Deal with it.