Pages

Saturday, July 07, 2007

My New Phone

So the iPhone came out last week. When I originally heard about this phone I really wanted one. I love technology and I thought that the iPhone would really give me a boost in productivity since I do most of my work on the internet, and being connected all the time really helps. But once I heard that it was going to cost $500+ plus a 2 year contract with At&T, I decided it wasn't worth the cost. Luckily, when I got the job at Platte Woods they were going to get me a new phone. So I started looking to see what Spring had to offer. The Spring PPC-6700 was the phone I decided to get.

I had been looking at Cingular's version of this phone as well. I really like this phone. I am almost constantly on it. I love the way it sits in my hand. The way it connects when I am in a hotspot or not. It is a little thinker than I like but it still fits in my hand pretty well. The battery life and memory are the two biggest issues I have. The battery life is horrible. Nothing else to say. For something that is supposed to be used as a pda, it doesn't last very long on a charge. On Tuesdays I have two meetings from 9 until 11. I take notes with my phone. When I get out at 11, if I had a full charge to start with, the phone is below half when I am done. So most of the time I have to go back and charge it for a bit so that I can continue using it during the day. I have purchased an extra battery and have chargers all over the place, so I can keep it pretty charged. And I know there are limitations on batteries for mobile devices anyways, but it is still annoying.

The memory on the other hand is horrendous. The device comes with only 128meg of memory on it, with almost 90 megs used before you install anything on it. I can't imagine it. My Lifedrive came with 4 gigs of memory, so I had to make the adjustment. I purchased two 1 gig micro sd cards to use in it. One for all the programs I installed and the other for my music. I am fairly happy with them. I wish it came with more memory and I would bet the newer versions do.

Overall I like this phone. I am not completely in love with it and might continue to look at the iPhone for a future purchase, especially if you can get it without an At&T contract but we will see. I am still working on this one. I do some tweaks every now and then. I actually installed an iPhone interface for it, but it had some bugs so I took it off.

So, if you are looking for a new pda or pocket pc, I might recommend this. I knew most phone carriers have a version of this phone.

No comments: